Oncofertility 101 provides high-quality translational research training for students, postdoctoral fellows, and other trainees with the opportunity to isolate ovarian follicles, encapsulate follicles in a 3D biomaterial matrix, and optimize in vitro follicle culture. The Oncofertility 101 curriculum has become the template for a folliculogenesis and in vitro follicle growth laboratory that is taught annually at the Frontiers in Reproduction (FIR) at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, MA. Since 2011, more than 35 researchers and clinicians have gained hands-on experience from this course.
Oncofertility 101: A training course in in vitro follicle growth using alginate hydrogels
The training includes the following:
- Welcome & Overview
- Laboratory Exercise Part I: Follicle Isolation & Manipulation
- Laboratory Exercise Part II: Follicle Encapsulation in Alginate
- The Evolution of Biomaterials in Follicle Culture
- The Ins and Outs of Setting Up a Follicle Culture Laboratory
- Laboratory Exercise Part III: Follicle Imaging & Quality Analysis
Two courses are held each year at Northwestern University in Chicago, IL. The next Oncofertility 101 course will be held in conjunction with the 2014 Oncofertility Conference (September 22-23, 2014) in Chicago, Illinois.
The $50 fee for the course covers supplies, lab materials, and lunch for attendees.
Sign up for more information.